Cannot run Gnome Boxes

When running Boxes from the Flatpak build, I receive the following warning:

Virtualisation extensions are unavailable on your system. Check your BIOS settings to enable them.

Intel Virtualisation Technology is already enabled in my BIOS settings, and I have never experienced this issue on another distro.

So I tried the build available in gnome-boxes bundle, which quits immediately on startup. Running from terminal provides the following output:
ross@dobby ~ $ gnome-boxes

(gnome-boxes:2182): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:49:49.691: GtkFlowBox with a model will ignore sort and filter functions

(gnome-boxes:2182): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:49:49.692: GtkListBox with a model will ignore sort and filter functions
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

It is essential that I get this working because I am dependent on Windows for college work at the moment.

check and see if your user is in the kvm group. If not, add it, and re-login to gnome, then try again?

1 Like

When running sudo adduser $USER kvm I get sudo: adduser: command not found.

useradd is the command.
This will add a user to an additional group: usermod -a -G kvm $USER

1 Like

usermod -a -G kvm $USER did not solve the issue. Scratch that, problem solved i.e. the flatpak build. Thank you.

1 Like

this isn’t working for me

flatpak isn’t solving my problem either.

What specifically is not working for you?

Virtualisation extensions are unavailable on your system. Check your BIOS settings to enable them.

There’s an option VT-d or Intel Virtualization Technology in the BIOS and can you verify that it’s enabled?