How do i update generic screen resolution in clear linux?

My pc runs on core i5/8gb ram with a generic monitor. I don’t have any dedicated gfx card. When i install windows primarily my desktop screen has a 4:3 aspect ratio with 1024*768 resolution. However after performing an update i can change the screen resolution to 1920×1080. I thought the same thing would happen if i install & update CL. But i can’t find anything on how to change my screen resolution. Only for this reason i had to come back to windows. How do i solve this issue?

Thanks.

go to gnome-control-center

sorry to bother you. i went to the gnome-control-center as you said. it just opened the settings that’s all. i already searched for everything in the settings. i specifically want to know how do i update the display driver for CL.

thank you.

You said you cannot find anything to change the resolution and my answer is gnome-control-center.

If your desired resolution is not listed, you can try xrandr in shell.

xrandr returned following texts

harold@clr-e0aa3815e4874c6fa98c3407aee0a88d~ $ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 768, maximum 16384 x 16384
VGA-1 connected primary 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 60.00*
800x600 60.32 56.25
848x480 60.00
640x480 59.94

what should i do next?

Google, xrandr set resolution.

For example, xrandr - How do I set a custom resolution? - Ask Ubuntu

2 Likes

thanks for your suggestion. i had to scour the net but now i’m running the monitor @1920x1080_50Hz.

to make the custom resolution permanent the tutorial said to create an ~/.xprofile.
but it didn’t say how to do it, where to do it. after scouring the internet for hours i found the command sudo gedit ~/.xprofile to do so. it opened an empty file. i was dumbfounded! i didn’t say that by default the there is no “.xprofile file” and I had to add the custom mode to it.
why this tutorials are so counterintuitive?

Use Windows. Linux is too hard for you.

1 Like

Oh yeah? Try doing your data science with cmd.exe! Or better yet Powershell! :rofl:

1 Like

linux isn’t hard. It’s just that the tutorials/guides are not detailed.

It reads as the following:

to set up the resolution persistently, create the file ~/.xprofile with the content

This tells you to create the file, with its name, path, and content clearly described.

How could this be counter-intuitive?

1 Like

globbing all tutorials .*

?

1 Like

Maybe I’m too newbie to understand ‘~/’ stands for the root folder. But it didn’t say how do i create a ‘.xprofile’. That’s why i was struggling.

Anyway, without creating a new topic can i ask another question please?

1. ~ is home folder.
  2. To create a file, you can use a text editor. Isn’t this what people do on all OS?

I guess I would have to farther inspect that toutorial to understand why you would go sudoing aroung your home directory?

I don’t get it. does not rightclicking ne ware in desktop and simply going into settings>desplay set it until the monitors are somehow changed or rearranged unplugged swapped etc
thatswhatidoworksfineeverytime

Windows doesn’t requires a command/text editor/powershell to create a file. Just right click & you can create folder,file, whole lot of other things from the pop up men.

If you think dragging a mouse around is easier than typing you need windows.

No, i don’t think dragging mouse is easier. It’s just that Windows users are used to it. Adjusting with commands/ terminals needs time, doesn’t it?

I suppose, but what does that have to do with x86 optimized stateless architecture and a primarily c-based simplified code source?