How to fix a broken installation of Clear Linux

We just posted this document - might be useful for users to bookmark :slight_smile:

This guide explains how to fix a broken installation of Clear Linux OS using a live desktop image on a USB. It’s assumed you already installed Clear Linux OS on a target system, but your operating system does not boot or function properly.
https://clearlinux.org/documentation/clear-linux/guides/maintenance/fix-broken-install

5 Likes

The link is invalid…

Here is the updated link:
https://docs.01.org/clearlinux/latest/guides/maintenance/fix-broken-install.html

1 Like

Thanks Puneet…

Very latest Clear Linux version update as of 9/24/2020 breaks Clear Linux for my PC? Intel i5 ASUS Z170 mb AMD XFX fury R9 gpu. On reboot white screen contact your admin unhappy face,

I fixed it using some forum searches

This worked for me

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+F5
  2. sudo swupd repair -V 33720 --force --picky

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

I followed the repair process. Does this actually fix the issue? Do I need to turn off the automatic update process?

I have the same question!

Edit: I’ve done this step too just to be sure

3. sudo swupd autoupdate --disable

Edit: 33760 is working fine

I guess I will use this update version for a long time now. Otherwise I will have to change distro, de, I don’t know. Because I actually need to use my computer for work, and any update now gnome breaks something. Jesus.

You can disable the automatic update and then manually run the updates on the weekend. That’s what I do.

Clear Linux 33760 works with no problem for me.

1 Like

33760 works on my machine also, disabled auto update for awhile

Please keep in mind that it’s best not to go very long without running the update manually. The last time I saw a comment on that, one of the Clear Linux team recommend about once a week. But I first check the forums here to see whether anyone has reported any problems after auto-updates. I try to run it every weekend, and it usually only takes a few minutes to complete. My system runs 24 x 7 so I do a restart after the update.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will take your recommendation :+1:

1 Like

Just updated mine and for some reason it inputs the letter “t” every time I press enter😅 Been using this on and off for the past few years now but first time encountering that issue.