How to install mysql in Clear Linux?

It says that mysql is in mariadb, but I do not know how to use mariadb. Used this command “kubectl create secret generic mariadb”, but it says that localhost:8080 was refused. Can anyone help to install mysql from scratch? Thanks a lot

mariadb is a fork of mysql that was created by the creators of mysql. It is 100% compatible and based on the same source code. In general, if people say “mysql”, they actually mean “mariadb” nowadays, as it has become the standard.

mariadb installs the same old mysql tool for instance to talk to the server.

sudo swupd bundle-add mariadb is how you install it on clearlinux. To start it for the first time, do sudo systemctl start mariadb.

I’m not sure if you’r intentionally trying to use Docker/Kubernetes to install a mariadb container or if you found that command as part of another guide but do know that there isclearlinux/mariadb container image also available.

I figured out that I was going on to the wrong direction, and also, how do I set the password for root for the first time? Thanks

1 Like

Googled it for you:

mysqladmin --user=root password
1 Like

How do I get to mysqladmin, because when I login it looks like this.
Can’t Login to root because of the password issue.

Kyle@clr-30f5fe0b6cb54580945a1469722205d3~ $ mysql
Welcome to the MariaDB monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MariaDB connection id is 13
Server version: 10.4.6-MariaDB MariaDB Server

Copyright © 2000, 2018, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

Type ‘help;’ or ‘\h’ for help. Type ‘\c’ to clear the current input statement.

MariaDB [(none)]> exit
Bye

mysqladmin is a command. You run it. Perhaps you want sudo mysqladmin instead.

Did you mean to say that you can’t change the root user account password?

Try sudo passwd to resolve that.

it won’t allow me, it says localhost access denied

Can you at least copy+paste the screen output of the errors that you get, including the commands that you try? I’m thinking you’re missing some crucial details, but since I can’t see your screen, it’s impossible to understand what you’re doing.

Kyle@clr-30f5fe0b6cb54580945a1469722205d3~ $ mysqladmin --user=root password
mysqladmin: connect to server at ‘localhost’ failed
error: ‘Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’’

Check the install MariaDB section of this document:

https://docs.01.org/clearlinux/latest/tutorials/wordpress/web-server-install.html#install-mariadb

You can intialize the database credentials with the sudo mysql_secure_installation script.

Thank you, it works. (I tried on ubuntu before and didn’t work so I gave up on it):rofl::rofl:

1 Like

had anyone installed mysql 8 on clear linux?

anyone? i really need mysql8 on my clear linux box

Have you tried?

What’s blocking you?

no repo at all for MySQL8… I use the rpm but its breaking on dependency… so had anyone had any luck on installing MySQL 8… my last resort will be a docker system though

Do you know what dependencies are not working?
Clear Linux won’t ship proprietary programs like MySQL, but dev team may help for the dependencies.