Live Desktop Installer can't find SSD

Hi all, I am trying to install CL in a XPS 13 alongside Windows 10.

I can boot from flash disk but the installer can’t find a media to install. Both Safe and Destroy options fail to find a media.

The SSD is a PM981a NVMe Samsung.

Also, the lsblk and df -h only lists the flash disk.

I already looked in the bios a IDE compatibility option, but couln’t find it.

Did anyone have succes installing in a XPS 13?

Edit: Maybe this is important. To boot from the flash disk, I disables Secure boot.

I would try ‘legacy’ instead of ‘uefi’ in the bios.

You should always do this for Linux distro.

1 Like

CL is not designed for laptop. Though it’s actually not designed for any specific hardwares, laptops are especially annoying as they nearly always require proprietary drivers and firmwares.

But I don’t think your hardware is the reason why it cannot find the installer media.

• How did you create the live USB?
  • Is it UEFI or legacy?

I created the live USB with etcher, as suggested in the step-by-step.

You mean if the USB is UEFI. I am pretty sure. I didn’t even see an option to change this in etcher and BIOS recognize it as UEFI.

The BIOS is also set to UEFI. I couldn’t find an option for legacy there also.

Another important information. The SATA controller is set to RAID.

Edit: Remove images and information not related to the solution.

As soon as I found out the RAID controller, I was resigned to reinstall windows. However, I used the procedure #2 in

https://askubuntu.com/questions/963087/install-dual-boot-ubuntu-with-windows-10-and-raid-on

And could change from RAID to AHCI. Everything is working now. It would be nice to have this procedure documented in the CL installation docs.

I must say, the first boot on CL felt like a breeze in the desert.

Thank you @cable and @doct0rHu.

1 Like

The answer is that AHCI is the required mode for the device. I assume it’s because the kernel doesn’t support the “RAID” mode for storage devices.

1 Like