LXQt missing a window manager?

I installed the desktop build into a Fusion VM. As gdm/gnome do not run so well with older video cards I wanted a less demanding desktop environment. So I installed the desktop-lxqt bundle and I was able to switch to it in GDM. All seemed well, except LXQt needs a Window Manager. The default is OpenBox.

To my surprise, the bundle does not install a window manager, nor do I see an Openbox bundle available.

1 Like

Hi and sorry for intruding, I see that you managed to install the lxgt environment.
can you please describe the test here:

I somehow can not get the Xserver up and running
Sorry again

There is a desktop-autostart bundle that maybe you are missing?
I started with the desktop iso which includes a working gnome desktop environment. I simply added the LXQt bundle and switched to it via gdm.
My next step will be to switch from gdm to LightDM, once I have LXQt working.

thank you for your answer.
I was hopping that there will be a way to completely skip gnome libraries.

We have similar goals. I am sure there is a way… but how to do it the Clear Linux way is what I am attempting to learn. Gnome3/RHEL have decided to move in directions counter to our environment and needs, so I must find an alternative.

1 Like

Hi. Was just wondering whether you were able to move to LightDM?

Greetings carlshark. Unfortunately I have temporarily set aside this project as I have another project that needed my attention. I will be returning to the LXQt desktop issues in a few days.

lightdm worked without modification other than needing to provide a /etc/pam.d/lightdm file for our environment. My workstation has tons of CL bundled installed. I found gdm/sddm/lightdm were all running. systemctl disable gdm/sddm should have worked but they kept starting on reboot. I ended up running systemctl mask gdm/sddm to get them to not start. I will investigate this further.

lightdm on CL is very spartan, it just needs a bit of love to liven it up.

1 Like

Can you post the contents of that? We should be adding it by default of course.

# Begin /etc/pam.d/lightdm

auth requisite pam_nologin.so
auth required pam_env.so
auth required pam_succeed_if.so uid >= 500 quiet
auth include common-auth
auth optional pam_gnome_keyring.so

account include common-account

password include common-password

session required pam_limits.so
session include common-session
session optional pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start

# End /etc/pam.d/lightdm

Note: The minimum UID has been lowered to 500 from 1000 for our environment.
Also note that there are also lightdm-greeter and lightdm-autologin pam config files, but so far, modifications to the default have not been needed in our environment but more testing is needed.

I am not a pam expert. If someone finds fault with this, please let me know.

1 Like

how did you switch to lxqt on gdm. please provide some steps.

when you install lxqt, openbox is downloaded. it’s just not set as the window manager.
either you can search for and choose openbox when asked to choose default window manager, or you can edit ~/.config/lxqt/session.conf and put in window_manager=/usr/bin/openbox