NFS Server Configuration Issue with assinging static ports in ClearLinux

Hello,

I’m trying to set up a NFS server on ClearLinux. I use Proxmox for virtualisation and its build in Firewall. I’ve opened ports 111 and 2049 for both TCP and UDP in said firewall. When using nmap I can see the open ports 111 and 2049 of that CL system. After restarting the server, I tried to see the mount points with showmount -e, but I received the error message “rpc mount export: RPC: Timed out”.

When I disable the Proxmox firewall entirely, I can see the mount point, which indicates that the services on ClearLinux are running fine. However, I need the Firewall to remain active for security reasons.

I’ve also tried specifying static ports for mountd, statd, and lockd in the /etc/sysconfig/nfs file and opened these ports in the firewall too.

The content of my /etc/sysconfig/nfs file is as follows:

MOUNTD_PORT=12000
STATD_PORT=12001
LOCKD_TCPPORT=12002
LOCKD_UDPPORT=12003

When I rebooted and run rpcinfo -p, it seems that the ports specified in /etc/sysconfig/nfs are not being used by the NFS services.

rpcinfo -p                                               
   program vers proto   port  service
    100000    4   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    3   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    4   udp    111  portmapper
    100000    3   udp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100005    1   udp  56404  mountd
    100005    1   tcp  57487  mountd
    100024    1   udp  55303  status
    100024    1   tcp  59109  status
    100005    2   udp  41111  mountd
    100005    2   tcp  54235  mountd
    100005    3   udp  48370  mountd
    100005    3   tcp  50601  mountd
    100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs
    100003    4   tcp   2049  nfs
    100021    1   udp  54911  nlockmgr
    100021    3   udp  54911  nlockmgr
    100021    4   udp  54911  nlockmgr
    100021    1   tcp  40137  nlockmgr
    100021    3   tcp  40137  nlockmgr
    100021    4   tcp  40137  nlockmgr

When opening the port 50601/tcp in the Proxmox firewall (its really no issue with the firewall) I can see the mount point too. Sadly, the port changes dynamically when rebooting.

TL;DR:
How can I assign a static port for mountd in ClearLinux? (/etc/sysconfig/nfs did not work!)

I have not used nfs for a long time, but I just performed a man page display it appears you can set the port of the services in the /etc/fstab and the settings should be sticky, hereare the options:

Options for NFS versions 2 and 3 only
Use these options, along with the options in the above subsection, for NFS versions 2 and 3 only.

proto=netid    The netid determines the transport that is used to communicate with the NFS server.  Available options are udp, udp6, tcp, tcp6,  rdma,  and
                  rdma6.  Those which end in 6 use IPv6 addresses and are only available if support for TI??RPC is built in. Others use IPv4 addresses.

Each transport protocol uses different default retrans and timeo settings.  Refer to the description of these two mount options for details.

In  addition  to  controlling  how the NFS client transmits requests to the server, this mount option also controls how the mount(8) command
                  communicates with the server??s rpcbind and mountd services.  Specifying a netid that uses TCP forces all traffic from the  mount(8)  command
                  and the NFS client to use TCP.  Specifying a netid that uses UDP forces all traffic types to use UDP.

Before using NFS over UDP, refer to the TRANSPORT METHODS section.

If  the  proto  mount option is not specified, the mount(8) command discovers which protocols the server supports and chooses an appropriate
                  transport for each service.  Refer to the TRANSPORT METHODS section for more details.

udp            The udp option is an alternative to specifying proto=udp.  It is included for compatibility with other operating systems.

Before using NFS over UDP, refer to the TRANSPORT METHODS section.

tcp            The tcp option is an alternative to specifying proto=tcp.  It is included for compatibility with other operating systems.

rdma           The rdma option is an alternative to specifying proto=rdma.

port=n         The numeric value of the server??s NFS service port.  If the server??s NFS service is not available on the specified port, the  mount  request
                  fails.

If this option is not specified, or if the specified port value is 0, then the NFS client uses the NFS service port number advertised by the
                  server??s  rpcbind service.  The mount request fails if the server??s rpcbind service is not available, the server??s NFS service is not regis??
                  tered with its rpcbind service, or the server??s NFS service is not available on the advertised port.

mountport=n    The numeric value of the server??s mountd port.  If the server??s mountd service is not available on the specified  port,  the  mount  request
                  fails.

If this does not work, the settings might have to be set via customs rules set via the /etc/systemd/…
for the nfs service, I would look at what is done on Ubuntu to address this issue.

The syntax and file names you are trying to use for configuration could be no longer valid. You can look in the /run or /var directory of the syntax of how your device is setup i.e. Do not modify these files
they are setup by the operating system, but that are configuration files with the correct syntax.

ls -l /run/nfs/
total 0
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 Dec 22 18:04 etab
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 Dec 22 18:04 rmtab
drwx------ 2 root root 40 Dec 22 18:04 sm
drwx------ 2 root root 40 Dec 22 18:04 sm.bak
-rw------- 1 root root 0 Dec 22 18:04 state
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 Dec 22 18:04 xtab

Hey @sbharveyCL,

thanks for your reply. I went with your suggestion using /etc/fstab and was thinking about

And I was reading this:

So, I changed my /etc/fstab to use nfs4 since that seems to use NFS 4.2 and therefore doesn’t require any port next to 2049/tcp.

showmount -e still doesn’t work anymore. But the mount itself works. Thank you!

I still wonder how you would set the mountd port statically in CL?

I found a URL from archlinux:
[SOLVED] NFS Static Ports / Newbie Corner / Arch Linux Forums

Looks like some more customization in the /etc/ directory area. Looks like other services and or modules to load, then customize.

Okay, with a lot of testing I found one way to set this up on Clearlinux. All the other ways of other distributions did not work.

Step 1: Configure the rpc.statd Service

• Open the NFS common (rpc-statd) service file:
sudo nano /usr/lib/systemd/system/rpc-statd.service
  • In this file, set the static ports for rpc.statd:
# Statd is not needed for NFSv4!
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rpc.statd -p 12001 -o 12002

https://linux.die.net/man/8/rpc.statd

-o, --outgoing-port port
Specifies the source port number the sm-notify command should use when sending reboot notifications. See sm-notify(8) for details.
-p, --port port
Specifies the port number used for RPC listener sockets. If this option is not specified, rpc.statd chooses a random ephemeral port for each listener socket.
This option can be used to fix the port value of its listeners when SM_NOTIFY requests must traverse a firewall between clients and servers.

• Save the changes and close the text editor.

Step 2: Configure the rpc.mountd Service

• Open the NFS server (nfs-mountd.service) service file:
sudo nano /usr/lib/systemd/system/nfs-mountd.service
  • In this file, set the static port for rpc.mountd:
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd -p 12000

Step 3: Configure the lockd Module

• Create a new file in /etc/modprobe.d/ (for example, nfs.conf) and add the following lines to set the static ports for the lockd module:
sudo mkdir -p /etc/modprobe.d
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/nfs.conf
# Static ports for NFS lockd
options lockd nlm_udpport=12003 nlm_tcpport=12002

Step 4: Reboot the System

sudo reboot