No RDP possible after screen goes blank

This may be an issue pertaining to gnome-remote-desktop (and I did post it there), though you guys may be able to help too. Here goes:

I have two machines similar form all relevant points of view (both running same GNOME version on Wayland, both hooked up to my home network, both running CL 39930 and configured similarly etc.), with the exception of the fact that one is wired while the other is wireless. After the screen goes blank, the wireless one canNOT(!) be accessed over RDP (i.e. g-r-d), while the wired one can.

Is this a bug or a “feature”? Note that both can be accessed via SSH regardless of whether the screen is blank or not, hence it’s not like the wifi goes dead after the screen goes blank, or anything like that.

Alright, I figured out why RDP-ing into a locked screen machine works on one computer while it doesn’t work on the other, and it’s got nothing to do with the type of network connection (wired or wireless). On the machine that allows RDP-ing I have a GNOME extension installed named Allow Locked Remote Desktop! It’s as simple as that!

Kudos to that developer!!!

P.S. Note that RDP-ing won’t work on any computer where a GNOME session has not been started, and that won’t happen until the GNOME people get around to implementing support for headless sessions.

2 Likes

Does this have anything to do with Gnome Keyring ?

Quite possibly. I thought of that myself.