Gnome-remote-desktop missing?

I am looking for ways to RDP to my would-be CL workstation from Windows.

Since ver 41, GNOME has included a remote desktop server exactly for such purposes, via RDP.

(And it does seem to work well in Ubuntu, without any hussle, as is).
(And is available as an rpm: https://fedora.pkgs.org/36/fedora-updates-aarch64/gnome-remote-desktop-42.3-1.fc36.aarch64.rpm.html)

Yet, it does not seem to be included into CL’s Gnome by default, nor could I find it in separate bundles/packs.

Would be great if this gets included.

If not, what are the practical alternatives? (i have looked on the forum but could not find a workable solution).

2 Likes

You might want to file a feature request at Issues · clearlinux/distribution · GitHub

Chris

2 Likes

Just did.
Hope including this isn’t too big of a deal.

Meanwhile, what are the RDP options?

2 Likes

I reacted to your request on github.

This isn’t RDP, but currently I ssh in and run x11vnc. (Requires an x session obviously).

The nice thing about this is that I only run x11vnc while I’m using it.

Note that if you’re using the default GDM, you’ll need to already be logged in, or switch to an x-based login manager.

Thanks. I am looking for an RDP solution though.

I hope it is added! I will use it.

Have you tried any of the FreeRDP based products like Remmina?

XRDP has also been suggested.

1 Like

Remmina is a client (=from which you connect).
xrdp still uses vnc under the hood; i couldn’t make it work anyway.

1 Like

Any progress in this direction? The FreeRDP that comes with some of the CL bundles is pretty old, and doesn’t work with any RDP client. xrdp, on the other hand, seems pretty up to date.

xrdp still uses vnc under the hood

This isn’t necessarily true. There’s an option to use vnc, but iirc, there’s actually a plugin called xorgx11rdp which lets you use xrdp and plug directly into x11 without needing VNC.