Best remote desktop options

Greetings,

I am struggling with finding the best performing remote desktop options for Clear. I have used NoMachine on other distros to good effect, and was mildly successful (with quite a few warts yet to work out) in getting it to work on Clear. I have never used Spice extensively, but would like to try it out, except a macOS client seems hard to come by. There are instructions at spice-space.org on building one and I have done that in the past but the client seems to be not well maintained.

I’ve also used xrdp, but performance there is not great. Are there other good performing options of which I am unaware?

1 Like

Anydesk is very fast, closed-source like NoMachine, but does NAT-NAT traversal.

From my experience xrdp is one of the fastest. Did you turn on RemoteFX (command line switch /rfx)?

I am also looking for a good remote desktop server to install on Clear Linux.
Have seen a vnc server part about it, but indeed is there a bundle for NoMachine?

So what is the best solution for Clear linux on this ?

Would you care to share w/us how you managed to make NoMachine work on CL? :thinking:

Did you manage to make xrdp work in CL? I have been coming across some issues.

One can do the following on Clear Linux. The /etc directory does not exist, so is created.

sudo mkdir -p /etc/xrdp

sudo openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes \
   -keyout /etc/xrdp/key.pem -out /etc/xrdp/cert.pem -days 730

See NoMachine, TurboVNC, or VNC Server instructions.

TurboVNC is my favorite with fluid-like performance. Sound is lacking, but there’s a way and fluid as well. VNC Server is my next favorite. NoMachine is stable, no issues resizing.

If you’re in a place in your life wondering or tinkering, try out TurboVNC at least once. Way more fluid than xrdp. So so mind-boggling. Let your mind ponder on how that is possible.

YMMV.

1 Like