Software centre for Gnome won't install anything

Using a bare metal install of version 21690, anything I try to install through the Gnome software center doesn’t do anything. I click the install button (on anything) and it just hangs there. I am able to install through swupd directly or flatpak (which I see comes preinstalled).

Is the software center just something that’s not fully integrated yet, or is there anything I can provide (log wise) that would assist?

Using a bare metal install of version 21690, anything I try to install through the Gnome software center doesn’t do anything. I click the install button (on anything) and it just hangs there. I am able to install through swupd directly or flatpak (which I see comes preinstalled).

Can you update to the current CL version, 21690 is a little old.

Currently is at 29610.

Sorry 29610 is my current version. Good spot! :slight_smile:

I see the Clear Linux site offers software to install which has command line alternatives for Flathub. It looks like the software center may just not be fully working through Gnome at the moment.

Does it work for you?

Gnome Software Center is integrated with Flatpak and Swupd.

Are you behind a proxy?

No, nothing like that. I’ve made sure the system is up to date and restarted the machine several times. No luck so far. Maybe I’m just getting unlucky with certain packages - let me try…

Yup, looks like I was either unlucky or perhaps had conflicting background tasks…

Trying to install something simple like Ansible now and it worked fine. Thanks for the assistance.

Hello,

is there anything I can provide (log wise) that would assist?

Certainly you could run gnome-software in verbose mode, however, you may need to kill currently running gnome-software:

$ killall gnome-software
$ gnome-sofware --verbose | tee gnome-software-log.txt

This would create a gnome-software-log.txt (quite long) file that you can later share for better root-causing the issues you experience :slight_smile:

This does bring up a question I have, does the software center know when swupd is running (say for autoupdate) and provide some kind of useful message?

If another swupd process is running, an error should be shown by the software center.

Auto-update is not configurable via UI (yet).

Hello,

I have a similar issue and after following your advice I got the following errors. In other distros I would simply use the package manager, remove the software and reinstall it, however I am having issues doing that on ClearLinux since swupd will not remove the desktop bundle since it is in use.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

15:39:34:0064 GsPluginFlatpak skipping reading metadata
15:39:34:0065 GsPluginOdrs got review data for us.zoom.Zoom.desktop from /home/alex/.cache/gnome-software/odrs/us.zoom.Zoom.desktop.json
15:39:34:0065 Gs  searching appstream for user/flatpak/flathub/runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform/18.08
15:39:34:0066 Gs  no app with ID user/flatpak/flathub/runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform/18.08 found in system appstream
15:39:34:0066 Gs  no AppStream match for {pkgname} runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform/x86_64/18.08
15:39:34:0066 GsPluginFlatpak chose GsFlatpak-user-user using ID
15:39:34:0067 GsPluginOdrs got review data for org.freedesktop.Platform from /home/alex/.cache/gnome-software/odrs/org.freedesktop.Platform.json
15:39:34:0068 GsPluginOdrs no ratings results for org.freedesktop.Platform
15:39:34:0068 Gs  found new us.zoom.Zoom.desktop:app/us.zoom.Zoom/x86_64/stable:2.8.222599.0519
15:39:34:0068 Gs  running refine with refine-flags=require-size,require-rating,require-reviews,require-review-ratings,require-runtime with timeout=60 on apps user/flatpak/flathub/desktop/us.zoom.Zoom.desktop/stable took 6ms
15:39:35:0646 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: swupd
15:39:39:0068 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: provenance
15:39:39:0068 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: shell-extensions
15:39:39:0068 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: appstream
15:39:39:0068 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: provenance-license
15:39:39:0068 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: desktop-menu-path
15:39:39:0068 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: flatpak
15:39:39:0068 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: generic-updates
15:39:39:0068 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: hardcoded-blacklist
15:39:39:0068 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: hardcoded-featured
15:39:39:0068 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: modalias
15:39:39:0068 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: rewrite-resource
15:39:39:0068 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: steam
15:39:39:0068 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: icons
15:39:39:0068 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: odrs
15:39:39:0068 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: key-colors
15:39:39:0068 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: key-colors-metadata
15:39:45:0949 GsPluginFlatpak chose GsFlatpak-user-user using ID
15:39:45:0956 dconf watch_fast: "/org/gnome/software/" (establishing: 0, active: 171)
15:39:50:0952 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: shell-extensions
15:39:50:0952 Gs  plugin no longer recently active: swupd

Why would you want to do that? (uninstall/re-install)

That wouldn’t be useful on Clear Linux* as we don’t run stuff in between install/uninstall operations like other distributions do.
I suggest you to take a look at our stateless page to learn more.

As per your logs, I can’t see anything helpful to help you track down your issue :slightly_frowning_face:

Probably a better description of what your issue is would help much more :wink:

A simple description of what is going on is that no software can be installed, updated or removed from the gnome-software app (they would simply get into a pending state for installation or nothing happens for the other 2)

I managed to install the flatpaks I needed via the CLI but the store app has become completely useless. It does however retrieve information about the installed packages, the updates for them if there are any. Once updating them via the CLI the gnome-software sees that also.

If there are any logs I can further provide I would be more than happy to do so. Clear Linux has become my favorite distribution and would love to help make it better.

Thanks

Thanks for your report, There was also a GitHub report (see clearlinux/distribution/issues/901).

The details can be explored in the previous GitHub link above, but it basically comes down to the fact that we were affected when updating to newer Flatpak version. Release 30020 (or later) should get you the fixed gnome-software.

Again, thanks for taking the time to report this issue :tada:

The fix is already public, please update

1 Like

I have updated the system to 30040 and everything is working as intended. Thanks for the heads-up.