Why no one is talking about the kernel 6.5?

CL 39920 is running smoothly. Thank you, @arjan and the clan!

I was a bit worried about how the Proprietary Nvidia Graphics Driver would behave. After a single freeze on the first boot, it is running fine with Wayland. Thank you, @marioroy.

I hope all those under-the-hood optimizations of the kernel 6.5 will make CL even better.

Screenshot from 2023-09-08 13-33-07

1 Like

Not a pretty picture, if you ask me. I may have to go back to 39900, which was flawless.

Sorry to hear @Aqua1ung.

One of the things I noticed running Clear Linux (LTS kernel) is the desktop interactivity is not great when the system is under load. For example, running primesieve 1e13 consuming all CPU threads. The desktop is sluggish and choppy, especially moving windows. This is true also when building things and gcc running on all CPU cores.

That is not the case on Fedora Linux running the Xanmod kernel. The desktop experience is smooth no matter the stress on the processor. The applications may not run as fast as on Clear Linux, but the fluid desktop experience is so nice.

I have not been on Fedora Linux for a while. Just now booted into it to reproduce primesieve running on all cores. The Xanmod kernel is quite nice, with some build time configuration. My spec file can be found in my gist repository.

It is on my TODO list to try the Xanmod kernel on Clear Linux one day, using the same build options found in the spec file.

Edit: I booted into the latest Fedora 37 kernel. No issues with desktop interactivity running primesieve.

I built primesieve from scratch on Fedora Linux, similar to building on Clear Linux. There is some choppiness moving the Chromium browser window. Though, nothing like in Clear Linux. Moving the terminal window is fluid.

It’s okay… Enjoy Linux, no matter which you choose or distro-hop from time to time. :slight_smile: Distro-hopping is how I learned to resolve some issues in Clear Linux.

Congrats to the Clear Linux team. They have DKMS working 100% (e.g. including clean up of old artifacts).

1 Like

I mentioned it a couple of times here, for a good reason :wink:

Give the Xanmod Edge and RT (realtime) kernels a try too.

I found CL included Firefox choppy and has dodgy text rendering (displaying the dates of a calendar month with a week starting from Tuesday and ending on Monday). But the flatpak version is flawless and not choppy.

Talking about distro hopping, I agree and it is a lot of fun. We are spoiled for choice. Ventoy is a good tool to use to distro hop where you just copy and paste the ISO into the ventoy drive. I have about 10 different distros in one drive ready to try when I feel like (Garuda, Nitrux like ‘wierd ones’ too). :laughing:

I run a custom-tuned Xanmod Edge kernel on Fedora Linux using the spec file (link above). The spec file disables debug, enables full tickless mode, sets various RCU options, enables full preempt, and some misc configuration. In a nutshell, the customization makes the edge kernel run more like the RT kernel without the performance impact.

I’m running the XanMod Edge 6.1.53 kernel on Clear Linux. It works great.

$ uname -a
Linux clr-pc 6.1.53-4.xanmod #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Sep 14 12:14:32 CDT 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I came to realization that one cannot compress kernel modules on CL. Doing so will break networking. Compressing the kernel modules saves a lot of space. For comparison, the XanMod module folder on Fedora is 170MB whereas 396MB on Clear Linux.

This is based on the CL lts 6.1.53 kernel spec file and changed to XanMod Edge 6.1.53 kernel with few customization.

And maybe some other, less noticeable things, break too.

did you build it from source?

Yes, with some customization.

1. Set v3 CPU (x86-64-v3)
  2. Disable DEBUG
  3. Enable full tickless mode
  4. Set various RCU options
  5. Enable full preempt

At the moment, I’m comparing CL LTS 6.1.53 vs. XanMod Edge 6.1.53 and capturing low-latency results. I will create a new thread and share the results. But above all, I will share how-to as well.

The XanMod kernel, with few custom settings, runs similar to a RT kernel with minimum impact to performance. Unfortunately, the CL kernel does not do well when the system is under load. Other than that, okay.

This project is simply pure joy and love of Linux kernels.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s great. Fun to experiment with.