ZFS and OPNsense

Has anybody in the Clear Linux community heard of ZFS or OPNsense (Ultimate firewall web traffic control)? OPNsense® a true open source security platform and more - OPNsense® is a true open source firewall and more

I have heard that Linux is supposed to support ZFS ( ZFS - Wikipedia.

I was discussing with someone about the capabilities of ZFS and OPNsense. These are enterprise level server/firewall and file sytem implementations. Does Clear Linux support these implementations out of the box? Is there a plan too?

As of right now ZFS and OPNsense are based on FreeBSD due to the stability of FreeBSD as
opposed to the the Various Linux distributions.

The person I was discussing this with has implemented both ZFS and OPNsense on an Intel motherboard. Right in Intel’s wheelhouse.

Comments?

OpenZFS tutorial :

https://clearlinux.github.io/clear-linux-documentation/tutorials/zfs.html

Explanation :

Regarding good (commercial) OPNsense alternatives, there’s Fortigate and Untangle.

Untangle is now called Arista Home Network Management.

OPNSense and Arista run on specific hardened versions of operating systems.

OPN runs on FreeBSD and Arista runs on Debian Bullseye.

1 Like

Yup! Running Clear Linux on my servers and OpnSense at the edge. Personally, I’ve got my fingers crossed for bcachefs so we can leave ZFS and BTRFS in the dust.

IIRC, this isn’t true anymore, and OpnSense stopped using a special fork of FreeBSD and instead is just using basic FreeBSD

1 Like

ZFS is fine, even awesome, especially for it self-healing.
ZFS on Linux it depends on how well the community behind supports it;
as an example, QubeOS halted the implementation for a while related to a silly bug.
Most of Linux which use RPM rely on DKMS to integrate ZFS, which I, personally, don’t like.
On the other hand, Proxmox and TrueOS community are truly reliable when it comes to ZFS.

OPNsense is a fork of pfSense, which are both well-known products in the security field; I used since 2010 on Proxmox and VMWare ESX.