Clear Linux on VMWare?

Hi all,
As anyone tried to get it running on Vmware (Windows) recently?
The live iso runs but installation from there does not work for me (it cannot boot afterwards).
The installer iso kind of works and boots into a terminal but after installing the desktop and the i3 bundle I only get a black screen with a pointer and no way to get to a terminal.
Any suggestions?

Are you using VMware Player or VMware Workstation Pro? What version?

If you’re getting a black screen, can you switch to another terminal (CTRL+ALT+F3)? If so, instal the os-cloudguest-vmware bundle which has the open-vm-tools.

It looks like our documentation is referencing an old installer.iso and VMware player version so we need to get that refreshed.

For the live-desktop case, check how much RAM is assigned to the VM. I noticed the desktop won’t start with the default 768mb. Bumping up to 2GB fixed it.

Pro Version 14
I tried to get to a terminal but that would not work. Will double check that.
What is the recommended way to install on VMware?

Thanks for clarifying. We don’t have documentation on using Workstation Pro, yet.

I would recommend starting with the server ISO from here: https://clearlinux.org/downloads and doing a minimal install to reduce the complexity. Once CL is installed in the VM, add the os-cloudguest-vmware bundle.

Still make sure the VM has EFI boot enabled.

1 Like

Thanks will give it a try. From my past experience with Linux on VMware I would not expect to a difference running it on VMware pro