Dnf throws dependency error related to rpmlib

I am trying to bring up the company’s software stack on a clear linux I recently installed. Our software stack is :

MySQL commercial 5.7
Nodejs 10
Memcached
PHP 7.2

I installed dnf and added some cent os 7 repositories, but when I want to install nodejs packages, it gives me the following error :

Error: transaction check vs depsolve:
rpmlib(BuiltinLuaScripts) <= 4.2.2-1 is needed by bash-4.2.46-33.el7.x86_64
rpmlib(BuiltinLuaScripts) <= 4.2.2-1 is needed by filesystem-3.2-25.el7.x86_64
rpmlib(BuiltinLuaScripts) <= 4.2.2-1 is needed by glibc-2.17-292.el7.x86_64
rpmlib(BuiltinLuaScripts) <= 4.2.2-1 is needed by glibc-common-2.17-292.el7.x86_64
rpmlib(BuiltinLuaScripts) <= 4.2.2-1 is needed by libgcc-4.8.5-39.el7.x86_64
rpmlib(BuiltinLuaScripts) <= 4.2.2-1 is needed by setup-2.8.71-10.el7.noarch

and guess what? I cannot install rpmlib. Is there something I’m missing?

Yes, you can’t do this because you’re installing RPM’s with dependencies enabled, and so you are overwriting clearlinux libraries with ones from RHEL, which will completely and utterly brick your system.

Don’t do this.

If you do use a tool to extract and install RPM’s, you probably want to run it with --nodeps --noscripts to avoid the RHEL specific things from clobbering your system.

Note, this method is completely not supported. I would recommend looking into mixer or the 3rd-party software stack to build up the software needed to support this sort of thing.

1 Like

Note taken, I will try another method.
Also, I need to post something else about MySQL, the problem started from here. See if people have experienced installing mysql-commercial on clear linux.