How to make ADB and Fastboot executable

Hi, I am using ADB and Fastboot to install costum roms on my android phone. In debian based distros it was quite easy to use ADB and Fastboot - you just had to install Android SDK Tools. After setting up clearlinux, I did install the Android SDK Tools as a flatpak, but it seems, that I cannot use ADB and Fastboot now via my terminal. Can anyone give me a hint, how I might be able to get ADB and Fastboot working in clearlinux?
Thanks!

I would suggest not using flatpak but just downloading the official zip files from Google instead, then you have access to all the subtools that are in these archives.

Thanks, how do I get access to the subtools by using a zip file?

You can view a previous post:

Thanks - that did work out!

If I may reopen this case. Unfortunately running adb from did not work out. It highlights: no permissions (user in plugdev group; are your udev rules wrong?); see [Run apps on a hardware device  |  Android Developers]
I think thats what you mentioned with add udev rule. I am unfortunately not aware how I can add a udev rule under /etc/udev/rules.d. Can you maybe help me out how to perform this?

You can follow the instructions here: Android Debug Bridge - ArchWiki

There is also a compiled list of udev entries for various devices in this GitHub repo that you can reference: android-udev-rules/51-android.rules at main · M0Rf30/android-udev-rules · GitHub

Thanks for your reply, but I am not able to understand the instructions in the links you did send me. I mean - can I install android-udev under clear linux? I am generally also not aware what udev entries are. Am not a professional, just an interested user…

$ cd /tmp/
$ curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/M0Rf30/android-udev-rules/master/51-android.rules
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 22048  100 22048    0     0  95034      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 95034
$ sudo mkdir -p /etc/udev/rules.d
$ sudo mv 51-android.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/
1 Like

Thanks! Will keep you posted, if it works out.

found this thread as I have the same purpose with the case “to install another os on my android mobile” actually / e / os.

managed to follow btwarden’s instructions, (would never have succeeded with this otherwise, so thank you) but when I follow the following instructions under Using ADB and fastboot | LineageOS Wiki

"Setting up adb
To use adb with your device, you’ll need to enable developer options and USB debugging:

Open Settings, and select “About”.
Tap on “Build number” seven times.
Go back, and select “Developer options”.
Scroll down, and check the “Android debugging” or “USB debugging” entry under “Debugging”.
Plug your device into your computer.
On the computer, open up a terminal / command prompt and type adb devices.
A dialog should show on your device, asking you to allow usb debugging. Check “always allow”, and choose “OK”.

Congratulations! adb is now ready to use with your device. "

but the following does not work “On the computer, open up a terminal / command prompt and type adb devices.”
but I get the answer “adb: command not found”

so what could be wrong here?

It’s likely that is installed somewhere like /usr/local/bin and is not in your PATH.

files in

/home/computer/adb devices/platform-tools

and

/home/computer/adb-fastboot/platform-tools

also

/etc/udev/rules.d

probably another command in clearlinux??? or missing drivers???

adb: command not found

clearly you didn’t follow

Add the following to ~/.profile

first: I did not know that the dot before the name meant that it is a hidden folder / file

when I tried to create a folder .profile, it says: that there is already a “file” with that name.
so creating such a folder is not possible as “create” is hidden.
can not when I click in settings to show hidden folders / files, see any folder / file named .profile
now the hard disk name is also in the path, and it can not be excluded, so I should then add it to the path for what would be entered under .profile?

now it became messy

found a file named .profile
located under /home
the content was this:

~ / .profile: executed by Bourne-compatible login shells.

if [-f ~ / .bashrc]; then
. ~ / .bashrc
fi

path set by / etc / profile

export PATH

mesg n

typed
/home $ adb devices

results:
adb: command not found

the mobile is visible under “files”
when usb debugging is checked, a message appears asking if usb debugging should be allowed, answered ok, and then allow access to mobile data, answered ok

did you add the specific content in?
did you log out?

are you referring to:
if [-d " HOME / adb-fastboot / platform-tools"]; then export PATH = " HOME / adb-fastboot / platform-tools: $ PATH"
fi
so the answer is yes: see the contents of the .profile file above

and yes I logged out and in again

also added udev rules mentioned in the text, path mentioned above

/etc/udev/rules.d

1. $HOME not HOME

I ain’t see nothing