Install on a 64 bit Intel Baytrail Atom with 32 bit UEFI

As the title says, has anyone successfully installed Clear Linux on a Lenovo Idea Centre Stick 300 or similar Atom equipped device that sports a 32 bit UEFI with a 64 bit supported architecture?

I’ve managed to do this with a variety of distros by building an EFI/BOOT folder in the Fat32 formatted USB install media housing the .ISO for the distro and loading that folder with an bootIA32 file instead of 64. This doesn’t work with Clear Linux.

Has anyone been successful?

1 Like

This is the processor in this particular device:

That processor should work fine with the regular ISO. If uefi mode is a problem just change it to legacy.

1 Like

This particular device doesn’t have a Legacy BIOS option, only 32 bit UEFI:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/ideacentre/stick-300/Stick-300/p/99IC9SP0239

Is there anpther viable installation option if I currently have Linux running on this device? Right now, there is a Manjaro 32 bit distro running. ( I was experimenting with converting it to 64 bit architecture packages)

Installation over network or something like that? I’m still classed as a newb with Linux. I know enough to be dangerous. I’m sure I can just install Mint 19.3 32 bit or Fedora on this (I have) but what fun is that?

Will it boot from the regular Clear Linux ISO on a USB stick?

1 Like

I installed manjaro 64 on asus x205ta,it has the same chipset z3735f, I followed by this guide:

1 Like

Try Linuxium on a CherryTrail, it’s got some ‘bootia32.efi’ bootloader that is still missing in many Linux distributions even today. Doing so will allow installation of 2 different “flavours” each on its own eMMC partition, while migration to Windows 11 can’t be performed because it’s only 32 GB in size and Win10 already seems challenged with too few free GB left anyway… No working touchscreen so far but i keep hoping.

Thanks everyone. Just a quick update, it was a pain in the ass so I sold it on eBay and used the money to pay for memory and an SSD for my Dell Chromebox 3010 “Tricky” that has a Haswell i7 in it.

Runs like a top with a fresh build of CL. I successfully installed Steam on this thing and got a few games to run for my 6 year old, which was pretty cool considering the limited integrated Intel graphics. Clear Linux offers the absolute best performance on this machine from a Linux standpoint thanks to Intel’s development of this. The Octane rating beats every other distro I’ve tried. Impressive!

Just need to get used to swupd instead of apt lol.

1 Like

Thoughts. I’ve read a number of people making it work on those small gizmos. It was the goofy 32 bit boot and shift off to 64 bit.
This isn’t the one I was looking for but has info. Installing linux on an 32bit UEFI only machine - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

1 Like

Salutations,

If my Insignia Flex 11.6 weren’t Full-HD i wouldn’t care for a change of hardware neither, but i picked one with the intent to make it a relatively durable purchase decision and i feel no urgent need for some new toy to play with. The deal was great, at first… Then i found more recently that Linux is kind of an auto-destruct solution; ready to ruin the day right when it can prove inconvenient the most - which is an exact reminder of why i erased Windows 10 to begin with!! In clear, because i got tired of re-installing things at inapropriate moments, as this was supposed to work as a wireless TV substitute while enjoying the summer. YEARS AGO!! Euh… What a deceiving objective, next time i think i’ll attempt a frozen “LIVE” session launched from some .ISO image, preferably located on the internal 128 GB micro-SD reader, euh… M’well, SOMEDAY (eventually…), when Linux finally gets it right, though i’ve observed it’s often fixed once then broken many. No touchscreen so far, it was a gamble and i lost, that’s it; so anything Full-HD that runs Linux correctly may prove worth a few extra green bills today. Of course no clerks can help anyway, better shop on-line directly and then another nightmare begins! I’ll just spare my sanity for a while.

It seems i might wish to revisit the dedicated boot-loader web site of Elmar Hanlhofer, eventually as well, just in case, but the thing is i don’t need another hobby on top of a new toy. Yet, never say never.

Meanwhile beware of cheap shortcuts that later inflate into a full “pet”, e.g. one that requires constant attention and will even interfere with those tasks which justified its purchase initially.

In conclusion that was a bargain at the time and i still wonder if i’d manage making the right customer move if i cared to try my luck once more.

It’s definitely not like my dependable/reliable HP-48 calculator which never stopped working since i got it in 1993, as i vaguely recall. Well designed and stylish, with provisions for machine code access, expansion, even infra-red transfers.

Ah, but lets wake up: XUbuntu will do until it doesn’t, then i may find motivation to look at alternatives until the tablet is dead for good. Too bad there’s no going back, this was the best there was. Traps await in every corner, welcome to our brave new predatory world.

N.B.: If another hobby did appeal to me i know i’d at least search for computers on a USB stick anyway.

A big if.