Installation on macbook pro

On my macbook pro (late 2011), im trying to install clear linux along side linux mint(no mac os on this system). After install, when i reboot it is giving an error

Error: unknow filesystem grub rescue>
What should i do.

And there is no wifi also when im on live usb.
Output when i run lspci -nn -d 14e4: command
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM57765 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:16b4] (rev 10) 02:00.1 SD Host controller [0805]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM57765/57785 SDXC/MMC Card Reader [14e4:16bc] (rev 10) 03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4331 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4331] (rev 02)

The wifi driver on several macbook models is unfortunately not supported by OSS drivers. The only real way around it is to use a USB ethernet stick during installation.

Grub errors, well, that’s a bug in the installer. At a minimum it should have left you with a bootable clearlinux.

Please note that in some cases we do ship an open driver, but you may need proprietary firmware that we can’t ship (b43 for instance). You could, in those cases, manually install the firmware to solve the problem.

Hello,

I test to my macbook pro on live version it not detected my wifi card.

But with MX Linux it detect…
Why ?

Very likely you need to install a Broadcom firmware, which is proprietary and not available via swupd.

You can easily find tutorials online for other distros, and they should work fine.

I got it working by using my Ubuntu Linux machine (you can install it in a VM if you like)
And then install the package firmware-b43-installer.

sudo apt install firmware-b43-installer

This installer downloads the Broadcom firmware files to the directory /lib/firmware/b43/

Copy these files to the Clear Linux installation to the same location /lib/firmware/b43 and reboot. The wifi adapter is detected automatically.

Now it’s waiting until someone adds the firmware-b43-installer to the Clear Linux distro :slight_smile:

Thank you for these instructions else my Clear Linux adventure would have ended, having no means of connecting to the Ethernet.
It took so many installations of live desktop into bootable USB to install finally install Clear Linux onto 2012 Macbook Pro.

1 Like