My attempt to install Clear Linux OS

A little background history: To begin with, I want to mention that I am completely novice on Linux, as I have not tested it more than during the past week. I first tested installing Linux Mint with dual boot. This after getting interested in the Linux operating system in step three, in my quest to free myself from Google, Facebook, and Microsoft’s data collection to the extent possible. I liked what I saw and started using it. But then the other night I sat reading some articles about Linux, and then came across an article about Clear Linux, which I thought sounded really interesting. Was a bit hesitant at first as it was not possible to install as a double boot, (later saw that it should be possible anyway), but when I already liked Linux Mint, I took the step fully and installed Clear Linux. “And don’t regret it for a second”.

About Clear Linux: With its security mindset, I think it feels like a future operating system. Now I am not an expert, but what I have read so far and used it seems to be really good.

My computer / laptop is an ASUS UX305FA

(Fanless)

Processor: Intel Processor 5Y10 CPU @ 0.80GHz x 4

Graphics: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 5300 (BDW GT2)

Memory: 7.7 GB

Disk: 128.0 GB

OS name: Clear Linux OS

OS type: 64-bit

Installation Concerns: When installing Clear Linux, I encountered the “secure boot” problem, which prevented the startup. Found the security menu in the BIOS terminal, however, so that it could disable this. Then the boot started up without any problem.

Then the next problem arose, if you can now call it that. Namely, I had to key in the password for the encrypted hard drive, which I chose during installation. For Clear Linux, security is said to be a priority, which of course is good, so it will be to endure to enter that code from now on. Which I didn’t think I would need to perform at each startup, but thinking about it makes sense to do so. Should anyone unauthorized try to start the computer, this will already be a problem for him.

At the same time, a new error message appeared that a firmware bug, (TSC deadline …) needed to be updated. So after a little DuckDuckgo’ing, I found an article that said that the problem was that the BIOS needs updating. Oddly enough, my laptop manufacturer had released a new BIOS update last year. Which after updating it via the BIOS terminal, it resolved the error message.

Image: firmware

After the BIOS update, this error message appeared instead

IO error, dev sdd …

Image: IO error.

After keying in the encryption code, two more new error messages appeared.

Bluetooth (HC10) …,

Unexpected event failed to write entry …

Image: after BIOS update

So the following problems remain

IO error, dev sdd….

Bluetooth (HC10) …, (Which I turned off in the settings).

Unexpected event failed to write entry … (this message did not appear after the last boot?)

I think there should be some information (in connection with the download?) Of the “problem” with BIOS Security, that this must be addressed first. If Clear Linux is to be launched to the general public (which I think) then this should be solved in some way.

And maybe some advice on other possible problems that could arise.

br Stefan

1 Like

The block error is a serious disk integrity issue. I would certainly make sure to scan your drive and figure out if you have bad sectors or not. Look into fsck and badblocks manuals to see how to run them.

The bluetooth errors are relatively benign. While annoying, most console errors are relatively safe to ignore assuming the system works as needed. Obviously I/O errors do not fall into that category.

Did you install and use a desktop environment on this system?

1 Like

Thanks for the response

Yes I installed desktop OS from Live OS USB
I will try to look at your suggestions and see what I come up with.
Thanks

I restarted without any USB or SD card. Then the computer started up without any error reports. :slightly_smiling_face: :dizzy_face:Not as easy as a beginner. Time to read about Linux commands and the like. Some tips?

@StefanH: Hello, I think you are quite brave to try to use Clear Linux as a new user, Welcome and Good Luck!

There are many good resources on the Internet for learning Linux. You should definitely review the Clear Linux Documentation here: https://docs.01.org/clearlinux/latest/index.html.

Fairly soon, you will want to start to learn terminal commands. Many of the commands are universal for Linux, but not all of them.

I would suggest that much of learning Linux will happen organically, that is, you will just learn it by researching the things that you do on your computer every day. That includes fixing any issues you have along the way.

1 Like