Not start new kernel

I’m using disk encryption.
At the moment, the new kernel org.clearlinux.native.6.9.3-1439 does not start at system startup.
That is, it is not possible to enter the password of the encrypted disk. But if you select the old kernel org.clearlinux.native.6.9.3-1437 at startup, the password can be entered and the system works.
Can you tell me how to fix this ?

Try :

sudo mkimage --kernel-image=/usr/lib/kernel/org.clearlinux.native.6.9.3-1439 --initramfs=/boot/initramfs-6.9.3-1439.img

initrd /boot/initramfs-6.9.3-1439.img

mkimage: command not found
root@clr-15dccd3bc18b40c79113add9344f0e23/home/angus # swupd search mkimage
Search failed, no reasonable results found

I can confirm this in kernel-preempt-rt, kernel-rt, kernel-ltscurrent. In the kernel-native it didn’t happen on my laptop.

I may not have written or described this situation correctly.
By default a new kernel is loaded, but at startup I have to write a password for the encrypted disk.
And at this moment the kernel does not read data from the keyboard.
It looks like the keyboard is not working.
But if you select the previous kernel when booting, everything works.

1 Like

It’s the same 4 me, but these kernels.

1 Like

Hello, last 2 kernels 6.9.3 and 6.9.5, didn’t work on full encrypted disks. I have a Dell Latitude 7490. It keeps waiting for keyboard input, but it doesn’t make echo of any character.

its same problem and too Dell Latitude)))

Hello again, last 3 kernel versions:

Doesn’t take the password on full encrypted disk. You type but the “****” doesn’t appear, and didn’t take the ‘enter’.
    Not only on my Dell Latitude, this happen also on my old Lenovo Thinkpad T530.

I believe I’ve tracked down the problem to kernel module compression – specifically, during initrd, the kernel isn’t able to decompress modules because it was expecting to use external utilities. I’m reworking the initrd to have the keyboard driver modules already decompressed.

Great!, thanks for your help!

This should be fixed in kernel 6.9.6-1444, in the next Clear Linux release >= 41960. I don’t have an environment set up to test filesystem encryption, so your feedback is appreciated :slight_smile:

Sorry, I’m here, yes, works perfect now. Thank you very much for fix it. Looks like we are not too many, those who have this fully-encrypted-disk configuration, on our productive laptops :slight_smile:
Thanks again for your quick action over this issue.
Best regards!