Odd observation with Gnome 3.38 unlocking & application windows

I finally came back to Clear Linux after having to send my laptop off for repair (spilling a full cup of coffee across it was never the best idea that I’ve had in the world!!), however, I now seem to be observing some strange behaviour with Gnome and my application windows when the laptop is locked and unlocked.

To clarify what my set up is like…
Dell XPS 13 9380 laptop with 2 USBC hubs (1 with simply 4 USBA ports, and the other to serve my monitor & a couple more USB ports)
HDMI monitor to extend my desktop to

The only thing that has changed from before the repair is the USBC hub with HDMI out has been swapped out as my old one had a damaged cable.

When unlocked, everything seems to be working fine and as anticipated, and I can get along with my working day without a hitch. The problem appears when I lock my laptop for a period of time, say for lunch, and come back - when I log back in I find that all of my windows are somewhat messed up and not in the position that they were prior to locking. It’s quick and easy to put things back to where I need them, but it’s more a slight annoyance for me more than anything. Has anyone experienced anything like this anywhere else?

Yes. The Gnome window manager! It’s so idiotically designed and slow that I resist the daily urge to pour coffee over my laptop.

2 Likes

@galzzly (and all) I recommend KDE.

On Xorg, not Wayland.
Wayland will be mature sometime in the future.

I recently tried Fedora Kinoite but uninstalled it and came back to Clear Linux because I really didn’t like KDE. I found it confusing, unintuitive, and basically a poor man’s Windows 98. Totally subjective, I know.

However, I haven’t had any problems with GNOME that would motivate me to switch.

I recently tried Fedora Kinoite but uninstalled it and came back to Clear Linux because I really didn’t like KDE.

I have not experienced Kinoite but as “a minimal, immutable desktop operating system” it sounds like it might be designed for use in information kiosks, not as a workstation.

A better experience of KDE might be from a Debian KDE live install image (look for kde in the filename), or a Fedora KDE spin, or, since you already have clearlinux, you could try Clearlinux KDE desktop bundle.

I found it confusing, unintuitive, … Totally subjective, I know.

I am not aware of any modern computer system that is intuitive before you have relevant experience. Some are worse than others, I grant. GNOME tries to leverage people’s experience on phones and tablets, which led to them removing features that some appreciated on desktops.

and basically a poor man’s Windows 98.
Kinoite is designed to be a minimal system, so that’s not a fair complaint. You’d have to turn on the fancy features that you value, and Kinoite is “immutable”.

However, I haven’t had any problems with GNOME that would motivate me to switch.

That’s fine. It really depends on your personal activities and requirements. I hope you enjoy using linux!

Kinoite can be used as a workstation. My understanding of an “immutable OS” is that it differs in the way applications are installed/removed. Apps are run separately from the system in a container mode, or in a sandbox mode in the case of a flatpak.

I do very much enjoy using Linux. I primarily use macOS, but I find Linux is an exciting way to teach myself something about how an operating system works. The learning curve is steep, but I find it fun and interesting.