PC freezes after login after installing KDE

Indeed it does. I gave up for now. I’ve been using your automated script, plus all the manual steps and workarounds I could find in the web, including this GitHub issue thread, where the devs propose, as a workaround, to replace the kernel launch parameter intel_iommu=igfx_off with either off or on. Unfortunately in the latest versions (31360+) even that doesen’t seem to help anymore, let alone the fact that boot times are ridiculously high (around 4-5 minutes). The problem all started with the GNOME 3.34 update. I already tried once Plasma, but that desktop is just as clogged as it is cool-looking, so that’s not an option… although I think boot time is more of a login manager problem than a DE one, so I might as well give SDDM a try. Anyway, I reverted to the Nouveau drivers, which are painfully laggy, and don’t allow me to program CUDA, but at least “they just work”. Not much of a joy on a system designed for performance…

I’m under nouveau for several weeks but I don’t feel any visible lags. Is that normal for you computer? Or maybe that’s a compatibility issue for your hardwares.

As long as I’m using the internal display, the Nouveau drivers are just fine, but when I connect the external monitor via DisplayPort, on Xorg it is not even able to recognize the monitor, while on Wayland I get that annoying lag. Mind, it’s not something completely unbearable, but it’s definitely noticeable when moving/opening/closing windows, and IMO it introduces some kind of tearing, because when I scroll the text “overlaps”. These things weren’t there with the propietary drivers… Unless it’s just a Wayland problem, but as I said Xorg won’t recognize the display.

Good to see you back. We missed your expertise !

1 Like

A dirty short, I have used the server install and download gnome bundle. Once boot into gnome go to the cli and add the kde bundle and reboot. Login to kde and open the cli and remove gnome and gnome apps.

The issue I’ve notice with kde is the power menu does not work.