Personal list of things that could be improved

-> More customization of the installation.
Ubuntu kind of nails this one down in some areas, especially the disk management. I don’t like having separate /, /boot and /swap partitions; also don’t like not being able to choose where to install the bootloader, and I don’t get why the install partition must not be formatted for it to be valid.
I also enjoy the auto-login.

-> Audio volume
Ubuntu lets you choose whether you want to go higher than the regular 100%, and scales the volume bar accordingly. CLOS doesn’t make that distinction, and enables the over-amplification by default, which causes distortion. Just gives us an option to disable/enable it.

1 Like

There is auto-login.

1 Like

The volume thing is something Ubuntu does differently than upstream GNOME. We tend to take GNOME defaults instead. I admit it would be interesting to see how Ubuntu limits this but I think we will want to stay closer to GNOME than Ubuntu. Maybe @mesiment can comment on it.

Hello,

First of all, thanks for your comments, those are really helpful to understand better what is working and what is not for our users. :tada:

-> More customization of the installation.
Ubuntu kind of nails this one down in some areas, especially the disk management. I don’t like having separate /, /boot and /swap partitions; also don’t like not being able to choose where to install the bootloader, and I don’t get why the install partition must not be formatted for it to be valid.
I also enjoy the auto-login.

For this part maybe @mhorn can comment better than me.

-> Audio volume
Ubuntu lets you choose whether you want to go higher than the regular 100%, and scales the volume bar accordingly. CLOS doesn’t make that distinction, and enables the over-amplification by default, which causes distortion. Just gives us an option to disable/enable it.

For this, we actually change the gnome default (which I believe ubuntu just follows upstream default of allow-volume-above-100-percent = false)
(I just verified on a 18.04.2 LTS release fwiw).

we set this to true which effectively allows GNOME desktop to go beyond the 100% volume. The default change can be seen in the clr-desktop-defaults repository.

This default change was applied back in January and while I find it useful (e.g: some apps are not really helpful regarding output volume) I agree we could change this back to the GNOME default of false if enough users are bothered with the current default Clear Linux is shipping with. :slightly_smiling_face:

About the volume thing, my point is that there is an option in the audio settings that allows users to change that, that CLOS doesn’t have. The default isn’t the problem. Changing it not being straightforward that is.
Screenshot

When the volume is above 100%, you would see this.
There are multiple visual clues here.
Screenshot%20from%202019-08-06%2023-46-31

The Advanced/manual disk partitioning feature is being reworked in an upcoming release of the installer. It will allow the installer to select which partitions to use or re-use.

It is currently Clear Linux requirement to have a /boot partition – the installer doesn’t have control over this. Also, this planned change will not remove the requirement for a swap partition, but you can tag and reuse an existing swap partition. Using a swap file instead of a swap partition is being tracked but not addressed in the upcoming release.

Gotcha now, thanks for the explanation :slight_smile:

I have created an issue on GitHub for better tracking of this enhancement request.

See clearlinux/distribution#1105 - provide switch on/off for setting for sound +100% in gnome-control-center (sound panel) for further details.

1 Like

Switching between headphones / line in PulseAudio is a nightmare in many distros.

Quite easy to switch between the two in ALSA, but PA keeps breaking that setting.

The solution for PA is still found in ALSA settings.