Shutdown process ends up in kernel panic

I use Clear Linux on Mac mini 2018 (Core i5 -8500B). I am able to boot into Clear Linux without much of a hassle. However, I am unable to shut it down. the command shutdown ends in kernel panic with a huge list of commands similar (but not same) to this: systemctl poweroff: kernel panic · Issue #186 · clearlinux/distribution · GitHub.

Today I realized, that the shutdown does not kills any process but just freezes without accepting any input from the keyboard. Is there a way I can fix this issue?

PS: I am not a linux expert! I dont know to save the shutdown command output as log file.

did you “systemd poweroff” or “shutdown”

Thanks for the reply!
Yes! Same issue! However I accidentally figure out a safe way to restart. I use sudo halt -p --force in one terminal. It will not do anything atleast visually. I will open a new terminal and type sudo shutdown -h now.
This will throw series of command with SIGTERM and after ~10 min it’ll stop at powering off but will not turn off. Here, I’ll press ctrl+alt+del and it’ll reboot.

But no luck with shutdown.

have you updated your bios

I think it’ll be upgraded along with any new Mac os updates! Currently I’m on latest release. Let me know if I’m missing anything!

that’s right. modern Mac OS updates the bios with system updates.

I’m especially confused by

I realized, that the shutdown does not kills any process but just freezes without accepting any input from the keyboard.

I suggest you to open a GitHub issue for this.

Also try to add “acpi=force” to cmdline.

sudo mkdir -p /etc/kernel/cmdline.d/
echo “acpi=force” | sudo tee /etc/kernel/cmdline.d/shutdown.conf
sudo clr-boot-manager update

It’s in effect after a reboot.
You can remove “/etc/kernel/cmdline.d/shutdown.conf” and update the boot-manager to restore.

sudo clr-boot-manager update is not doing anything! There is no output at all similar to sleep command. I tried using this command sudo CBM_DEBUG=1 clr-boot-manager update the output is

[DEBUG] cbm (../src/cli/cli.c:L142): No such file: //etc/kernel/update_efi_vars
[INFO] cbm (../src/bootman/bootman.c:L744): Current running kernel: 5.7.6-966.native

This is all I get.

open a bug report then

Sure! I will open a GitHub issue!

Thanks for your time!

1 Like