[solved] Hyper-v resolution

Hi all,
The problem I got (and I am not sure if it is Hyper-v related) no matter the desktop I am using the resolution is always 1024*576.
bundles I’ve installed are desktop-autostart, desktop-lxqt, X11-server
and I’ve used the premade hyper-V virtual disk
Is there any fix for that?
Best

Hi,

Have similar issue, apparently this seems to be a limitation of hyper-v. You might need to use RDP to get over it.

Regards,
Sriram

Hi Sriram,

To be honest I did checked on this RDP thing but I am unsure of how to use it. Also, I have no administrative rights on this computer so I need to have something concrete to check with the IT department.

Best

You can change the resolution on Linux VMs in Hyper-V by adding a kernel command line boot parameter: video=hyperv_fb:1920×1080.

Could you please direct me to a walkthrough for adding that parameter? I never played around with kernel optimization, etc. (or actually I can not find the grub.conf to add the line). Probably clearlinux does not use grub menu?
Best

Clear Linux uses systemd.boot as the bootloader. You can mount your ESP partition (e.g. /boot), and look info the file /boot/loader/loader.conf, it specifies which boot entry the system is booting, there must have a file under /boot/loader/entries/ match the file name. Look into that boot entry file, the kernel option is specified by the options key.

2 Likes

Could you please direct me to a walkthrough for adding that parameter? I never played around with kernel optimization, etc. (or actually I can not find the grub.conf to add the line). Probably clearlinux does not use grub menu?

CL uses systemd-boot instead of grub and clr-boot-manager to add
new kernel parameter.

So to add new parameter do:

sudo mkdir -p /etc/kernel/cmdline.d/
echo "video=hyperv_fb:1920×1080" | sudo tee /etc/kernel/cmdline.d/hyperv-video.conf
sudo clr-boot-manager update

and reboot your VM.

for more info check man clr-boot-manager

1 Like

Hi again,
it seems that hyper-v has a limitation. ex it does not support my native resolution (2560x1440)
thank you for the replies

this did not really worked

this worked. but still it appears as if an inherited limit for the resolution is in place!