Bash scripts to automate installation of NVIDIA proprietary driver

Be advised: I added --no-cc-version-check for skip GCC version error to install.sh where the script block of additional options parameter.

Hi, you need to update the script now, I renamed it to install.bash.
Also that GCC version error is due to mismatch between your GCC version and the one that your kernel is compiled with.
This problem occured before, but is very soon resolved after new kernel updates.

Which window manager are you referring to for gdm-prime?

Me? I didn’t suggest to use gdm-prime.

I think this will be the last time that I use the react-by-email feature :wink:

Hello @doct0rHu, I apologize for the long silence.
I understand correctly that to use nvidia-xrun i need install nvidia drivers again?
In my last post, I mentioned that after install.bash i saw black screen.

nvidia-xrun should be installed after NVIDIA proprietary driver is installed.
Also note that I cannot test whether this works on Clear Linux because I have a desktop computer so I can just plug my display to NVIDIA gpu and don’t have the problem you’re having. Actually I cannot replicate a situation that you’re having.

@doct0rHu post install script now not working.
–bundles option not supported

Thanks, I have seen people discussing this. This is due to a recent change to swupd command that they temporarily removed this option because users may misuse it.
As a workaround, replace swupd repair by swupd verify --fix.

Although swupd verify is deprecated, it’s still working.

1 Like

@doct0rHu thx you again, that help! Today i install fresh drivers (install, postinstall, reboot), install and run x-run (your fork). After some re-cofiguration (pci bridge with nvidia have bus id 0000:00:1c.0 for me. Yeah, with letter c) x-run try load nvidia. Screen blink but session not started. Here you can see some logs with errors: http://termbin.com/pet4. What you thinking about this?

I see files with same name in another directory https://termbin.com/sc8y

With latest update to Gnome 3.34 there seems to be more going on, since on my Optimus laptop I’m still stuck at the black screen…

Also this happens when running update.sh

You’re not alone: GNOME fails to start after installing NVIDIA proprietary driver · Issue #1274 · clearlinux/distribution · GitHub

@puneetse While you’re here, to give you some insights: it actually all worked until yesterday. I just had to wait about 3 minutes for GDM to show up. Now I reinstalled clear Linux from scratch and:

1. display port works only on Wayland when using Nouveau
    2)no graphical environment works with propietary drivers.

I have not tried to install SDDM/KDE, but it was so painful to use when I tried it that it was one of the reason I decided to make a clean reinstall (other reason was I had to rearrange some partitions, but that’s of no interest to you).

Hi everyone,

I decided to give another go in trying to install NVIDIA drivers on an Optimus machine, this time it seems I am very close. Could someone please inspect the xorg log on the link: https://gist.github.com/lf-araujo/1106640c7a66dee16fe61965bf5ccd05

It seems it is not detecting the monitors:

[    95.977] (II) modeset(G1): using drv /dev/dri/card1
[    95.977] (EE) No devices detected.
[    95.977] (EE) 
Fatal server error:
[    95.977] (EE) no screens found(EE) 
  • How can I fix this last problem?

@lf_araujo On my PC it takes at least 3-4 minutes to boot up. Did you insert all the changes listed here?

Tried to reinstall them today, and as they say “new day, new bug”…

Very sad to hear that…

Reformatted the partitions, reinstalled Clear Linux aaand now, with latest version, it works. I think the uninstall script leaves some garbage behind… otherwise it wouldn’t explain how the system wouldn’t even install the drivers, let alone booting. Yes, I still need the intel_iommu=on option but hey, at least it boots in 5 secs and not 5 mins, can program CUDA and make use of those sweet sweet 50 FPS more on CS:GO than the ones I had on Windows)… Damn I wish every game was on Linux, CPU is my bottleneck and on CL it has 50-60% more performance than on Windows (although from user-friendlyness still there’s no comparison)…

2 Likes

The uninstall script calls the uninstaller and removes everything the install script created, including removing the settings for Xorg, ld.conf and etc.

The installer sometimes seem to leave things behind though.

A new issue has arisen: when using Nvidia drivers, only the external monitor is detected, thus not allowing me to access graphical environment without reverting to Nouveau… Now, I was thinking about two possible solutions:

1. making the internal display work again
  2. switching between drivers without uninstalling them, possibly with no reboot